Established in 1923, Finlay Field has played host to many Roseburg High School sports. The complex is named after Gilbert C. Finlay (1888-1980), a local dentist who moved to Roseburg in 1910 from Michigan. Finlay, who had been offered a try-out by the Major League Baseball Chicago White Sox, became a volunteer basketball coach and played baseball with high school students. He coached the Indians to the 1916-17 state basketball title.
The field was ready for sports in 1923, serving as a home to both baseball and football. Baseball was played at Finlay Field until the 1930's, when a track was constructed around the football field.
During the spring and summer of 1996, the wooden North and South Grandstands were demolished and the North Grandstand was constructed along with a new track, which was eight lanes all the away around. The former track consisted of only six lanes except for the 100 meter straightaway. Electronic timing was also installed at the same time. As a result of the new track, Roseburg High hosted the Southern Oregon Conference district track meet in the spring of 1997.
Seating for Finlay Field is around 5,000. Two permanant seating structures, the North Grandstand and South Bleachers, are joined by temporary bleachers placed on the East and West sides of the South Bleachers for football season. Overflow crowds are common at Finlay Field, with some of the largest fan draws being estimated at 9,000.ll 2
Finlay Field now plays host to many community events, mainly Roseburg football, track and field, and graduation ceremonies. Special events like the Roseburg Elementary Sports Program football jamboree are played on the field and the Oregon State University football team played their spring game at Finlay Field in April 1999.