What We Do
Roseburg Public Schools contracts with Durham School Services to provide all bus services for the District. Our partnership takes pride in seeing that every child arrives at school every day safely, on time and ready to learn. A students day begins and ends on the bus. Let them ride with us!
- Bus Behavior Rules
- Crossover Rules
- When Is the District Required to Provide Tranportation?
Bus Behavior Rules
Be Safe - Be Respectful - Be Responsible
WHEN WAITING FOR THE BUS
- Be visible
- Stay in designated “safe” areas
- Wait for driver’s signal to cross in front of bus
- Be respectful of other peoples property
- Use Quiet voices
- Wait patiently
- Be on time (five minutes before bus arrives)
- Form and stand in line to load bus
- Keep pets and inappropriate items at home (toys, glass containers)
WHEN RIDING ON THE BUS
- Sit correctly
- Keep hands, feet and objects to self
- Keep aisles clear
- Be quiet at RR crossings
- Keep hands and objects inside the bus
- Follow loading procedures
- Follow bus rules
- Food and snack are not to be eaten on bus and must be kept in backpack
- Share seat with others
- Use kind words and actions
- Use quiet voices follow bus driver expectations and directions
- Ask permission to open windows half way
- Take seat quickly
- Ask permission to change seats
- Keep all belongings with you
- Watch for your stop
- Use quiet voices
- Clean up after yourself
- Control personal items
WHEN UNLOADING FROM THE BUS
- Follow dismissal procedures – wait for brake to be set before standing
- Emergency exits only used in emergencies
- Cross in front of bus by driver direction only
- Take personal items with you
- Have note from the office for busing changes
- Assist substitute drivers
- Close window when leaving
- Watch for your stop
- Dismiss promptly when bus comes to stop
- Respond to driver directions
CROSSOVER RULES -Morning
- Stand at least 10 feet (5 giant steps) from the road
- Looks to the driver before crossing the road
- Do not cross the road until given a verbal ok from the driver over the outside PA system of the bus. STOP! IF THE DRIVER SOUNDS THEIR HORN.
- Always cross 10 feet (5 giant steps) in front of the bus so that they can see the driver and the driver see them
CROSSOVER RULES - Afternoon
- Walk out 10 feet from the right front bumper and look to the driver
- Do not cross the road until given a verbal ok from the driver over the outside PA system STOP! IF THE DRIVER SOUNDS THEIR HORN.
- Look to the right and then to the left before crossing
NOTE: If you meet your child at the bus stop in the afternoon, wait on the side where the child will be dropped off, not across the street. Then proceed across with the Drivers direction.
Thank you for your assistance in making this a safe ride to and from our schools.
If you have any questions or comments please call our office at 541-440-4048.
ORS 327.043 - When is the district required to provide transporation & the waiver of this requirement
327.043 When district required to provide transportation; waiver. (1) A school district is required to provide transportation for elementary students who reside more than one mile from school and for secondary school students who reside more than 1.5 miles from school. A district is also required to provide transportation for any student identified in a supplemental plan approved by the State Board of Education.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, the State Board of Education may waive the requirement to provide transportation for secondary school students who reside more than 1.5 miles from school. A district must present to the board a plan providing or identifying suitable and sufficient alternate modes of transporting secondary school students. [1991 c.780 §7]