RHS BOY'S BASKETBALL HISTORY
Boys’ basketball can be documented at RHS from 1909 to present, even though it was played earlier as a club sport. Boys’ basketball really progressed in 1911 when Dr. Finlay took an interest in the RHS students and programs.
The first official year cited by OSAA for championship play came in 1919. During the 1916-17 basketball season, Roseburg entered the state tournament at Willamette University. RHS, under the guidance of Dr. Finlay, defeated Silverton, Woodburn, and Salem and was presented the championship trophy be Willamette University declaring RHS the right to the “State Championship”. The 1917-18 team finished as Runner-up at state tournament.
In the beginning, boys’ and girls’ basketball found it difficult to find a proper facility in which to play basketball. It is mentioned that the teams played at “Sykes Rink”. (It is not exactly known where Sykes Rink was located, but indications are that it was a store building converted into a skating rink.)
In 1917-1925, a second high school was built about where the downtown Safeway store is located today. A spacious gymnasium was installed in the basement. This building became Central Junior High School after the high school moved to a new site. (This building would be destroyed in the 1959 Roseburg blast.)
In 1925-26, a third high school was built in the Bellows Tract next to Laurelwood. The new school had an auditorium-gymnasium, multi-use facility.
In 1954, a new gymnasium was built adjoining the 1926 building to the north and west. The facility is still in current use. Sometime in 1974, the 1954 gymnasium was dedicated and named “Stew Robertson Memorial Gymnasium”. (Note: Stew Robertson had died from a reaction to a bee sting on Labor Day, 8/31/1974.)
Today, three gymnasiums exist at RHS, since a new facility has been added, east of the 1954 gym.
RHS BOYS’ BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS AND RUNNER-UPS