Stewart W. Robertson Memorial Gymnasium is one of the most versatile buildings at Roseburg High School. Seating in the gym, which is home to RHS volleyball wrestling and basketball, is made up of four sections two lower and two upper which are retractable from an upright to seating postion.
The balcony seating is located in two lofts, one on each side of the gym. The West Loft is used for wrestling and sometimes basketball. A secondary basketball court is in the loft and contains wrestling mats that roll out. Cheerleading practices are held, depending on the time of year, in both the East and West Lofts. The West loft also houses a batting cage in the spring.
The gym has received extensive work over the past few years. Lower seating was replaced during the summer of 1999 and upper seating was replaced the year before. The floor was also resurfaced during the summer of 1999 and four glass-backboard side hoops were added in 1995.
Original construction on the gym began in 1952, with the building open for use in 1954.Basketball before then was played in what is now the school's weight room.
Originally called the Roseburg Gymnasium, the name was dedicated in honor of a Roseburg teacher and coach, Stewart W. Robertson (picture below), in 1975. Robertson died suddenly following an allergic reaction to a bee sting during Labor Day weekend in 1974.