AE-AR - District Goals
Re-adopted: 10/11/95, 8/13/97, 3/11/09
In order to meet district goals, the following strategies have been developed:
Graduation and Student Performance
We will have a K-12 curriculum and assessment program which:
- Identifies graduation learning targets;
- Describes the essential skills and knowledge needed to graduate (receive certificates of mastery);
- Provides standards, means and activities to measure student achievement;
- Integrates computer and technology use throughout the curriculum in order to increase student learning;
- Enables students to receive a certificate of initial mastery and advanced mastery.
We will provide a variety of alternative learning opportunities, K-12, designed to meet the unique needs of all students by:
- Making available alternative learning options according to students’ needs;
- Preparing personal education plans in collaboration with students, parents, educators and appropriate support personnel;
- Supporting flexible instructional strategies that allow the student to choose as to the learning process, learning products and learning environments directed towards clearly defined learning targets.
We will continually improve the middle school framework of instruction to address the unique learning and developmental needs of emerging adolescents by:
- Integrating the academic curriculum;
- Creating a learning environment that is appropriate to the middle level student;
- Adjusting the time schedule to make better use of the school day for student learning;
- Employing teaching strategies which increase student skills and knowledge.
We will ensure that our students are educated in a safe and secure learning environment by:
- Designing curriculum and setting expectations to increase the dignity and respect for others;
- Creating schools free from violence, harassment and other threats to student well-being.
We will promote the partnership of educators, parents and community by:
- Supporting and encouraging school improvement teams;
- Increasing the percentage of parent participation in meaningful and purposeful school involvement;
- Expanding our participation in business/education partnerships.
We will establish clear communication of progress in school improvement efforts to our staff and community through:
- The reporting of school and district profiles displaying student achievement and behavior information;
- Data-based decision making;
- Improvement plans for each school and program.
We will improve facilities to meet the needs of students:
- Including necessary technological infrastructure within all buildings coordinated throughout the district;
- Completing a comprehensive utilization study of schools aligned with students learning outcomes;
- Recommending through a broad based community task force necessary changes in facilities to address program needs.
We will develop a schedule of general maintenance activities that will be completed on established time lines by:
- Identifying regularly required maintenance activities such as painting and assigning such activities to time cycles;
- Preparing and implement a routine maintenance schedule within the parameters of the maintenance budget.
We will bring buildings to compliance with safety and legal requirements by:
- Completing formal audits using agency guidelines;
- Establishing a schedule of maintenance activities to fulfill requirements;
- Preparing a budget to support improvements.
We will enhance the district’s public educational system by:
- Developing district goals that provide direction for educational practices and programs;
- Delegating responsibility and requiring accountability for achieving district goals;
- Acknowledging and supporting successful practices and creative approaches that impact the attainment of goals and promote student achievement;
- Promoting and modeling a climate of trust and respect within the school system;
- Advocating for increased commitment to public education;
- Creating an environment of open communications which facilitates responsiveness and inspires others to contribute to achievement of educational goals.