BCFA - Standing Committees of the Board
As a means for the board to consider the variety and volume of matters it is called on to address, the board may appoint standing committees to gather information and make recommendations to the Board concerning issues of district wide importance.
Standing committees shall be comprised of three board members including an assigned chair who may consult with the public and staff on issues of importance to the district. The process and specific appointment of standing committee members will be determined by the board chair. Appointments of staff members to serve as advisors to the committee, when appropriate, will be made by the superintendent. An alternate shall also be named by the board chair to serve in place of an absent standing committee member.
All meetings of standing committees shall be public meetings subject to Chapter 192 of Oregon Revised Statutes. The board or the board chair may assign topics to a standing committee for discussion and information gathering. The chair of each standing committee should set the agenda for that committee’s meetings. All board members are welcome to attend any standing committee meeting. The manner and means of taking public comment or staff input shall be determined by the committee chair.
Each committee shall report to and make recommendations to the board at the next regular board meeting following each meeting of the standing committee. Committee reports and recommendations shall be of the whole committee unless more than 3 board members were present during the discussions, in which case each member shall report individually to the Board.
The board creates the following standing committees with the following general assignments:
- Administration and Personnel Committee - To gather information and make recommendations regarding personnel policies and needs for personnel policy changes, and to deal with those personnel decisions and decisions regarding the organization of the administration which are within the Board’s appropriate area of control;
- Building and Sites - To gather information and make recommendations on the district policies and the need for policy changes regarding the physical resources of the district, including lands, buildings and equipment, including maintenance and replacement issues, and to deal with those decisions regarding the purchase or sale of real property and other assets which are within the Board’s appropriate area of control;
- Curriculum and Instruction - To gather information and make recommendations on district policies and the need for policy changes regarding teaching methods and assessment of the effectiveness of teaching methods in the schools, and regarding the aims of education and regarding the things that are taught;
- Finance - To gather information and make recommendations on budgeting and accounting for expenditures;
- Student Services Committee - To gather information and make recommendations on the district’s policies and needs for policy changes regarding education of students outside of the mainstream, including special education services, contracted services and including pullout services within the district.