BHB - Board Member Development
The complexity of Board membership demands opportunities for development, study and training for Board members. The Board places a high priority on the importance of a planned and continuing program of professional development for its members.
In order to develop leadership capabilities, become informed about current issues in education and improve their skills as members of a policy-making body, Board members will participate in opportunities for professional development that may include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. In-service activities planned by the Board and by the administration for staff members, as appropriate;
2. Participation in conferences, workshops, conventions and training held by state and national school board associations and other educational organizations;
3. Subscriptions to publications addressing Board member related topics.
To control both the investment of time and funds necessary to implement this policy, the Board establishes these principles and procedures for its guidance:
1. The superintendent will inform Board members of upcoming conferences, conventions, workshops and training. The Board will decide which appear to produce the greatest benefit to the Board and the district.
2. Funds for participation at such professional development will be included in the district budget. When funds are limited, the Board will designate which members will participate at a given meeting or training.
3. If authorized by the Board to attend, Board members will be reimbursed, upon request, for reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred.
4. When a conference, convention or workshop is not attended by the full Board, those who participate will share, by means of written or oral reports, information, recommendations and materials acquired at the meeting.
END OF POLICY
OR. ETHICS COMM’N, OR. GOV’T ETHICS LAW, A GUIDE FOR PUBLIC OFFICIALS.