EEACC - Student Conduct on School Buses
Re-adopted: 8/13/97, 12/11/13
The transportation program is a service, provided at the expense of the district, and students availing themselves of this service must conduct themselves in conformity with the school bus code as established by the State Department of Education and approved by the Board. Those who fail to do so shall lose the privilege of using the buses. The district expects all drivers to promote an environment of mutual respect in the enforcement of these rules. The following regulations will govern student conduct on school buses and School Activity Vehicles if used for transporting students:
- Students being transported are under authority of the bus driver;
- Fighting, wrestling or boisterous activity is prohibited on the bus;
- Students will use the emergency door only in case of emergency;
- Students will be on time for the bus, both morning and evening;
- Students will not bring firearms, weapons or other potentially hazardous material on the bus;
- Students will not bring animals, except approved assistance guide animals, on the bus;
- Students will remain seated while bus is in motion;
- Students may be assigned seats by the bus driver;
- When necessary to cross the road, students will cross in front of the bus or as instructed by the bus driver;
- Students will not extend their hands, arms or heads through bus windows;
- Students will have written permission to leave the bus other than for home or school;
- Students will converse in normal tones; loud or vulgar language is prohibited;
- Students will not open or close windows without permission of the driver;
- Students will keep the bus clean and must refrain from damaging it;
- Students will be courteous to the driver, fellow students and passers-by;
- Students who refuse to promptly obey the directions of the driver or refuse to obey regulations may forfeit their privilege to ride on the buses.
The superintendent will establish other regulations as necessary for the safe conduct of students riding district school buses or other forms of district transportation. These regulations must be kept posted in a conspicuous place in all school buses and are effective on field trips, athletic trips or on any other occasion on which the school buses and/or School Activity Vehicles are used.
Students who violate bus rules of conduct may be denied the use of district transportation.
Letter Opinion, Office of the OR Attorney General (Nov. 22, 1988).