IGBHC - Alternative Education Notification**
Re-adopted: 8/13/97, 9/9/98
General notification of the alternative education law, the availability of existing programs and the procedures to request the establishment of new programs shall be distributed each year.
Individual notification to students and parents/guardians or persons in a parental relationship regarding the availability of alternative programs will be given semi-annually or when new programs become available under the following situations, as appropriate:
- When two or more severe disciplinary problems occur within a three-year period. Severe disciplinary problem is defined as any action which causes the building administrator to alert a student and the student’s parents/guardians that continued misbehavior could lead to a recommendation for expulsion;
- When attendance is so erratic the student is not benefiting from the educational program. Erratic attendance will be defined on a case-by-case basis taking into consideration the effect that absences from school have on the student’s performance;
- When a student’s parent/guardian or person in parental relationship applies for exemption from attendance on a semi-annual basis;
- When an expulsion is being considered for reasons other than a weapons policy violation;
- When a student is expelled for reasons other than a weapons violation.
Individual notification shall be hand-delivered or sent by certified mail. Parents/Guardians shall receive individual notification prior to an actual expulsion.
Notification shall include:
- The student’s action;
- A list of alternative programs for this student;
- The program recommendations based upon the student’s learning styles and needs;
- Procedures for enrolling the student in the recommended program.
The superintendent will develop notification procedures in accordance with Oregon Revised Statutes.
ORS 336.135 - 336.183
ORS 336.615 - 336.665
ORS 339.250 (9),(11)