IKE-AR - Retention for Students Grades K-8 | Promotion for Students Grades 1-8
Re-adopted: 6/17/10, 2/5/14, 8/10/22
If a parent/guardian or teacher feels it is in the student’s best interest to repeat or be promoted a grade level, assuming the student has been in the Roseburg Public School system during the current school year, the following steps must be taken:
- Retention or promotion candidates will be referred to the Group Instructional Planning team. Alternative strategies for learning will be considered throughout the year and documented;
- Teachers of potential retention candidates will have made timely communication with parents regarding student progress throughout the school year;
- By April 1, parent contact will be made indicating the possibility of retention or promotion;
- The Group Instructional Planning team will review the information collected on each student, ensure that all necessary information is at hand, and make a tentative determination of the instruments to be used in evaluation as necessary;
- The evaluation team will conduct further necessary evaluations on identified students in each building;
- At the conclusion of the evaluation, the evaluation team will review all information on the retention and promotion candidates and share recommendations with the Group Instructional Planning team;
- A conference with the parents of each student evaluated will be conducted;
- Parent/Principal endorsement/approval will be secured.
If a parent/guardian is enrolling a student for the first time in Roseburg Public Schools and feels it is in the student’s best interest to repeat or be promoted a grade level when registering, the following steps must be taken:
- A conference with the parents of each student will be conducted with the parent and principal reviewing student achievement data from the previous school.
- Retention/Promotion Form is completed and signed.
- Enrollment in the requested grade level will remain pending until academic information from the previous school or source is obtained.