JE - Attendance
Goals of attendance requirements are to:
- Contribute to the academic success of students;
- Inform parents about their students’ class attendance or non-attendance;
- Place the responsibility for attendance in the hands of students and their parents;
- Aid students in making decisions and accepting the responsibilities and consequences resulting from those decisions;
- Stress that punctual and regular attendance is a learned function necessary in coping with life;
- Help students and parents understand that irregular attendance is one of the prime factors associated with student failure and frustration with the schooling experience;
- Meet Oregon graduation requirements.
Each school shall notify parents/guardians by the end of the school day if their child has an unplanned absence. The notification will be either in person, by telephone or another method identified in writing by the parent/guardian. If the parent/guardian cannot be notified by the above methods, a message shall be left, if possible.
The Board directs the superintendent to develop rules and regulations which meet these objectives and to publish those rules and regulations annually for students and their parents.