JECBA-AR - Admission of Foreign Exchange Students

Adopted: 8/13/97
Revised/Reviewed: 11/16/22
Orig. Code: JECBA-AR
1. Pre-requisites

a. State department guidelines stipulate that a group sponsored student must obtain school approval and family placement before leaving their home country.

b. Exchange students attending district schools through group-sponsored exchange programs must obtain a J-1 Visa from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services which they must show upon registration. Approved group-sponsored exchange programs are those designated by the United States Information Agency and officially recognized by the Board. Exchange students on a J-1 Visa are not required to pay tuition.
c. Exchange students attending district schools through private sponsorship must obtain an F-1 Visa and prior approval required by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Pursuant to federal law, exchange students on an F-1 Visa may only attend secondary schools within the district and are required by law to pay the district’s established tuition rate for the period of attendance. The period of attendance may not exceed 12 months.
d. The student or sponsoring organization will provide all dues and fees.
2. Program Guidelines
a. The high school may accept a maximum of eleven full-year students from foreign countries.
b. Candidates will be selected from foreign non-profit exchange programs with local representation approved by the building administrator.
c. In addition, up to two students may be accepted at any one time from short-term programs at the discretion of the building administrator.
d. All potential organizations or individuals will obtain approval from the high school administrator by May 30 for the coming school year. Applications may not be accepted after May 30.
e. The high school administration reserves the right to terminate attendance if the student does not comply with the high school academic/behavioral standards that apply to that student.
f. A foreign student will receive an honorary high school diploma. Counselors will review an appropriate course of study and will give a written recommendation to the student. All full-year students may participate in graduation ceremonies regardless of diploma received.