JFCA - Student Dress and Grooming **
Dress and grooming while in school is basically an individual responsibility. When, in the opinion of the principal, the student dress is disruptive, unsafe or non-hygienic, appropriate action will be taken. When dress and grooming disrupts the learning process while in school, for the individual students or the learning climate of the school, it becomes a matter for counseling with the student and/or parent.
The total learning climate of a school is important to the satisfactory progress of students. This system places major emphasis upon developing an environment where the teaching-learning process will flourish with as few constraints as possible.
Student dress and grooming is the responsibility of the individual and his/her parents under the following guidelines:
- Dress code:
- Dress and grooming shall be clean and in keeping with health, sanitary and safe practices;
- Dress and grooming shall conform to the district’s Secret Societies/Gang Activities policy. Wearing any clothing, jewelry, emblem, badge, symbol, sign or other item determined by building administrators as evidence of membership or affiliation in an illegal gang or group involved in illegal activities is strictly prohibited;
- When a student is participating in special activities, his/her dress and grooming shall not disrupt the performance or constitute a health threat to the individual or other students;
- Provisions for dress and grooming in special activities should arise directly out of the needs of the activity;
- Dress and grooming shall not be such as to disrupt the teaching-learning process. Extremes will be avoided.
- Hair code:
Hair, for both boys and girls, shall be clean and free from disease. In any class involving machinery, flame or harmful chemicals, all hair shall be shielded or suspended so as to be safely protected from contact. The latter will also apply to physical education if, in the opinion of the instructor, the length or condition of the student’s hair constitutes a risk. Finally, no disruption, disorder, delay or inattention to instruction due to hair length, style or upkeep shall be tolerated of any student while upon district property.
OAR 581-021-0050 to -0075