JHF - Student Safety
The Board directs the development and approval of a comprehensive safety program. The plan is designed to assure every student a safe, healthy environment in which to learn. The plan will comply with federal, state and local laws and regulations and with Board policy.
Local building safety and health committees will ensure that general safety regulations are reviewed with staff and students, as appropriate, to assure student safety.
Instruction in professional technical courses and other offerings such as science, family and consumer studies, art and physical education will include and emphasize accident prevention.
Safety instruction will assist students to:
1. Learn how to work, play and exercise safely, and to prevent accidents;
2. Learn proper procedures to reduce the possibility of accidents;
3. Develop habits of good cleanliness, proper storage and proper handling of materials;
4. Become familiar with personal protective equipment and the proper clothing to be worn for safety purposes;
5. Develop skills in the safe use of tools and equipment;
6. Learn how to cooperate with others in the promotion and operation of a safety program in the school;
7. Respond to emergency situations in all settings.
Safety instruction will precede the use of materials and equipment by students in applicable units of work in the courses listed above. Instructors will teach and enforce all safety rules set up for these particular courses. Rules will include, but not be limited to, wearing personal protective equipment in appropriate activities.
Students will be asked to sign off upon completion of reading safety policies and materials and upon the completion of safety instruction.
A student will report any accident sustained by themself while on district property to a district staff member. ALL accidents will be promptly investigated. As a result of the investigation any corrective measures needed will be acted upon.
END OF POLICY