Positive Behavior Intervention Supports (PBIS)
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is a school-wide system that is used to create environments that are safe, predictable and positive. Used consistently, schools can improve school safety and decrease classroom disruptions, allowing teachers to teach and students to learn.
The focus of PSIS is to prevent problem behaviors. Instead of punishing students for not automatically knowing what is expected of them, schools spend time teaching students what good behavior looks like, sounds like and feels like in every school setting.
PBIS has some important guiding principles:
- Relationships are the key to preventing problem behaviors!
- Violent and disruptive behaviors are not acceptable.
- Everyone has the same understanding of expectations.
- Responses to behavior are the same.
- There is regular recognition of positive behavior.