EEACD-AR - Use of District Activity Vehicles for Student Transportation
When a district van is used for student transportation the following requirements will apply:
Type 10 Vehicle: Capacity - 10 persons including driver (Activity or home to school use)
- Driver must be at least 18 years of age;
- Driver shall meet all state/district established criteria for driving a van;
- Driver shall possess a valid driver license or Oregon commercial driver license;
- Driver shall pass a criminal records check;
- Driver shall pass a driver records check;
- Driver shall obtain and hold a valid first-aid card within 120 days from first use of vehicle;
- Driver shall know emergency and evacuation procedures;
- Driver shall have pre-trip vehicle inspection training;
- Driver shall enforce the same Student Code of Conduct in effect for bus riders;
- The driver and all occupants shall use seat restraints at all times when the vehicle is in motion.
- Driver who transports students regularly to and from school must also:
- Pass a behind-the-wheel test;
- Demonstrate knowledge of applicable laws;
- Driver shall be listed on the state Type 10/20 Activity vehicle driver approval list maintained at ODE;
- All Type 10 vehicle drivers are required to inform the district within 15 days of any change in their driving or criminal records that could affect their eligibility to maintain the necessary Oregon Department of Education approval for licensing. This includes convictions for moving violations, driving under the influence, involvement in a chargeable accident in own personal vehicle, or any change in licensing ability.
Type 20 Vehicle: Capacity 11-15 persons including the driver (Activity use only).
Drivers of vehicles whose design meets all school bus construction requirements (except lights and school bus sign front and rear) and allows transportation of up to 14 students plus the driver shall meet the same requirements as for Type 10 vehicles except must pass a behind-the-wheel test.
Type 20 Vehicle: Capacity 15-20 persons plus the driver (Activity use only)
Drivers of vehicles whose design meets all school bus construction requirements (except lights and school bus sign front and rear) and allows transportation of up to 20 persons plus the driver shall meet the same requirements as 11-15 capacity except must possess a valid Oregon commercial drivers license with a passenger endorsement.